Often times it's the start of the New Year that we get that little kick in the butt to prioritize our health and wellness. The fact that International Mind Body Wellness Day falls on January 3rd, 2021 gives us that added reminder to prioritize the health of our mind and body.
So I want to share 8 FREE things you can do to celebrate International Mind Body Wellness Day.
1. Take a virtual yoga class
Yoga’s incorporation of meditation and breathing can help improve a person’s mental well-being. “Regular yoga practice creates mental clarity and calmness; increases body awareness; relieves chronic stress patterns; relaxes the mind; centers attention; and sharpens concentration,” says Dr. Nevins. Body- and self-awareness are particularly beneficial, she adds, “because they can help with early detection of physical problems and allow for early preventive action.”
Physical benefits of yoga include:
- increased flexibility
- increased muscle strength and tone
- improved respiration, energy and vitality
- maintaining a balanced metabolism
- weight reduction
- cardio and circulatory health
- improved athletic performance
- protection from injury
Glo is a website that offers online daily yoga, meditation, pilates and fitness classes. While it's not always free this is a great time to take advantage of their 15 day FREE trial!
There are some yoga classes where you can kill 2 birds with one stone but I do enjoy a 5-10 minute sitting or laying meditation. I started meditating in 2020 (no explanation needed!) actually even before Covid hit. Having started my own wellness and skincare brand I live with a low level of stress and anxiety. No bueno!
I started meditating early in the year when I would go to a spa tradeshow to pitch Sanara and my stress and anxiety levels were much higher then usual. I didn't want that energy to be transferred or sensed, I needed to relax because nothing done under self-induced stress is productive. Admittedly, I've been not fantastic at making it a daily practice so I made the plunge for 2021 and purchased the app Calm for the year where I can be guided in my meditation once per day.
January 1st I started my 2021 daily meditation practice and let me tell you. I'm in.
“We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.”
- Reduced fatigue.
- Increased alertness.
- Improved mood.
- Improved performance, including quicker reaction time and better memory.
- Reduced blood pressure.
- Increased endurance.
- Reduced pain.
- Reduced stress.
- Strengthened immune system
- Baths can elevate your mood
- They can help you sleep better
- Help relieve muscle pain
- Help relieve cold and flu symptoms
- Soothe irritated skin (for some with Psoriasis, creating a bath ritual was important for my skin) I created the Natural Bath Ritual which includes our Yerba Mate Bath Soak with Aloe & Jojoba oil for those moments in life when I need to step away and heal.